On Thursday, November 22nd, we will celebrate Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is a national holiday in the United States and has been celebrated that way for over 150 years. Obviously, the roots of Thanksgiving go back much further in time about 400 years ago. Thanksgiving day and the long weekend is a great time for family and friends to get together and celebrate each other. What does the day and weekend mean to you? I wanted to take a look at some of the statistics surrounding Thanksgiving, the travel surrounding Thanksgiving, the cost of your Thanksgiving meal, and of course NFL football!
On Thursday, the NFL takes center stage and plays 3 games. Ever since I was young I can remember the Lions hosting a game and the Cowboys hosting a game. I have plenty of great memories sitting around with family members watching games or even sleeping on the couch during a game. This year might not be any different. The Lions host the upstart Bears in the first game of the day. The next game will be longtime rivals with the Redskins visiting the Cowboys. In the final game of the day, we might be treated to a shootout with the Falcons visiting the Saints. If you can hang in there for all 3 games you should be some pretty decent football. Good luck!!
In 1863, President Lincoln declared Thanksgiving to be a National Holiday. Since that date many traditions have formed like a turkey getting a Presidential Pardon. This infographic is great and shows some real fun facts. President Bush started pardoning turkeys in 1989. As you can see, 2 turkeys are sent to the White House with one being pardoned. I wonder what happens to the other? It is estimated that 45 million turkeys will meet their end this Thanksgiving. Over 100,000 questions are answered on the Butterball turkey hotline during the holiday period. Wait, their is a turkey hotline? The best statistic is that 96% of Americans celebrate Thanksgiving in some fashion, what are the other 4% doing?
Thanksgiving also brings cost to families that are hosting. Check out this great article showing the cost of Thanksgiving each year since 1947. Obviously the cost will go up every year or almost every year. Check out the inflation adjusted cost to get a real good idea. It is pretty easy to say that the meal was $14 when you were born and the cost has gone way up, but inflation is what matters in this instance. One other thing that is nice to see, the cost has started a downward trend over the last 8 years.
Finally, we have to talk about Thanksgiving travel. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving will be one of the busiest travel days of the year. It is estimated that 54 million Americans will be traveling at least 50 miles from home this year. This year is predicted to be the busiest in 13 years. Air travel is also predicted to be busier as well. Whether you will be driving or flying, please take your time and have patience.
Every November my family celebrates Thanksgiving and I hope your does as well. The day can have plenty of meaning for you and your family. I have great memories dating all the way back to my youth that surround the Thanksgiving weekend. The memories include football, food, traveling, and family. I hope you are able to say the same and I wish for the memories to continue building regardless of what your family traditions may be.